There’s no way to sugarcoat it – bad breath is embarrassing. Fortunately, with proper dental care and some helpful home remedies, bad breath can be conquered. Most often, the offender can be traced to a buildup of bad bacteria in the mouth, so good oral hygiene is essential. Other causes include foods, smoking, dry mouth, medications, gum disease, and sinus conditions.
Chronic bad breath, called halitosis, is often a sign of early-stage gum disease. If you brush and floss regularly and still can’t defeat bad breath, consult your dentist. After an examination, he or she can diagnose the root cause of bad breath and recommend the proper method of treatment. The following fresh-breath secrets may also improve your oral aroma:
- Floss! – Food particles stuck between teeth emit a foul odor as they decay – need we say more?
- Scrape – A tongue scraper will remove bacteria trapped beneath taste buds.
- Rinse – Many commercial mouthrinses temporarily freshen breath, but rinsing with a baking soda or peroxide solution can help fight odor-causing bacteria.
- Change Your Toothbrush – Avoid spreading bad bacteria by replacing your toothbrush every three months.
- Wet Your Whistle – Sipping water throughout the day prevents dehydration and washes away vagrant food particles.
- Beware of Beverages – Coffee, beer, wine, and whiskey top the list of liquid offenders.
- Spice Things Up – Keep some fresh sprigs of parsley or mint leaves at your disposal as quick, natural breath fresheners. Cloves, cardamom, and fennel also have odor-fighting powers.
Caring Dentist Now Accepting New Patients!
Please call our Humble, TX dental office at (281) 540-1141 to schedule your first visit with Dr. Sheeba George Robert. Our Humble office welcomes patients from Atascocita, Kingwood, Porter, The Woodlands, Spring, and surrounding areas. Welcome to our dental family!